.

Artfully Yours: Shahira Ragoonanan

Artistic, Original, Bold. All of these words describe budding Aesthetician and tattoo artist Shahira Ragoonanan. Her interests are diverse, yet centered on creativity. This perceptive art student of St. Joseph’s Convent, Port of Spain, Trinidad, discussed about her dreams with a soft spoken voice which hid her quiet determination. While we spoke I discovered things that I never knew even after knowing her for seven years.

 
Okay, so Shahira, what inspires you? 

I am mostly inspired by everyday life and my own imagination. I believe that the foundation for imagination comes from simple realism. My work is usually imaginative, but can vary in such ways that there is something for everyone. I am also inspired by other artwork. Very often I would see a technique that I would like to try, however in doing so, I always add my own twist to it.  

 

How would you describe your unique style?

It really varies according to how I feel or the reason for my work, for example, if I am going to or preparing someone for an event. I prefer a clean, fresh look so I usually opt for neat and simple. Sometimes though, I get carried away since I love working with detail. 

 

You sound so passionate about what you do. When exactly did you develop an interest in beauty and fashion?  

 

I’ve always had an interest with make-up. I remember as a child, part of my morning routine was visiting my mother before she left for work so she can put lipstick on me. I began experimenting with nail polish at around 12 and not long after, I got into make-up.  I always loved watching fashion shows, of any kind, but never considered designing anything of my own. I only recently decided that it was something I’d like to try. 

 

You love watching fashion shows. So which Caribbean fashion icons do you admire? 

Meiling is definitely one of my favourites. Not just for her work, but for her decision to return to Trinidad after completing her education in design in London. I also admire the work of Christian Boucaud. I love her style and her versatility which ensures that there is something for everyone. And it’s no surprise that everyone’s new favourite, Anya Ayoung-Chee, is also one of mine, but for so many reasons. I admire her courage, her reasoning and of course, her talent.


            Interesting. So, where do you see yourself in the future?


I will definitely be into Cosmetology. I plan be a certified make-up artist and nail tech. I would also like to get into the tattooing business; that is something I have also had a great interest in for quite some time. I hope that I get the opportunity to become an expert in all of the aspects of art that I am interested in, since I cannot quite see myself only mastering one. 

            Okay, describe what you’re going to show us.

 
This is called the gradient look. It is an elegant look created using three different shades of purple nail polish and a foundation sponge. 



Step 1: prepare your nails by cleaning off any nail polish residue, filing them into the same length and shape, and applying some nail hardener or clear nail polish to prevent discolouring of your natural nails.  

 
 
 

Step 2: Apply one coat of lilac nail polish to each nail and let dry. This is the base colour, and the lightest shade of purple being used. 





Step 3: take your magenta nail polish (medium shade of purple) and place a dollop of it onto a piece of paper. Before it dries, take your foundation sponge and dip it into the nail polish on the paper. Dab this colour onto one nail at at a time, starting from the tip of the nail and moving down. Apply this very lightly, covering just a little more than ¾ of each nail. 





Step 4: repeat step 3 using the same colour but do not go all the way down the nail. Instead, stop about halfway down, a little before where you ended the first coat. This will build up the magenta colour and you will see the beginning of the fade-out effect.





Step 5: take your darkest shade of purple and use the sponge application technique to lightly dab some onto the tip of each nail, about ¼ of the way down. Make sure to blend this into the magenta.






Step 6: repeat step 5, applying the dark purple onto the bare tips of the nails. You should now have the full gradient effect on each of your nails.




Step 7 (optional): apply some silver glitter nail polish over each nail for a sparkly effect.



 
Step 8: apply one coat of clear nail polish to each nail for a long-lasting effect. 




This look can be created using any colour that you like, as long as you have at least two shades of it. The opaque base colour can be omitted if desired. It also does not have to be a shade of the main colour. For example, a base colour of yellow can be used while the gradient effect can be created with two shades of blue. 

 


Where did you learn how to do this? Did you make it up yourself? 

I first came across the gradient look while browsing online. However, I was unsure as to how exactly it was created, so I experimented with different techniques until I was able to create this look, which is very similar, but still my own because of my different approach. 


It is gorgeous! So how do you feel about artistic pursuits in the Caribbean?


Art is becoming more and more valued by the average person. People are beginning to realize how big a part it plays in life. This is definitely having an effect on several industries, especially cosmetics. The greater appreciation leads to a greater interest by the general public. This provides excellent job opportunities for artists in general. This is perfect, not only because artists are no longer struggling to make it in the Caribbean, but also because more people now have the option to do what they love  for as long as they like.   

 
Check out Shahira's page:  http://www.facebook.com/ornella.gill#!/artfully.yours.shahira?fref=ts
Or contact her via her personal page: http://www.facebook.com/ornella.gill#!/shahira.ragoonanan?fref=ts

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one.
Charles Horton Cooley

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Business owners Sign up here for Free


Can You Have More Sales, Too?
Helping over 120,000+ businesses like yours raise profits and build customer relationships using AWeber's opt-in email marketing software for over 10 years.
Take a Free Test Drive today!
Liked what you read? Have it delivered to your email by signing up here: http://bit.ly/pellaumagsubscribe

Trending Articles This Week

Liked what you read? Have it delivered to your email by signing up here: http://bit.ly/pellaumagsubscribe

Take a look at our favorite products which are at discounted prices now

Our Favorite Books

Check out these deals

Pellau Magazine. Powered by Blogger.

Disclaimer

THIS SITE CLAIMS NO CREDIT FOR ANY CONTENT FEATURED ON THIS BLOG UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED. ALL VISUAL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT TO IT'S RESPECTFUL OWNERS, I.E WRITERS/PHOTOGRAPHERS INDICATED PER POST. IF YOU OWN THE RIGHTS TO ANY OF THE CONTENT AND DO NOT WISH THEM TO APPEAR ON THIS BLOG PLEASE CONTACT US, PROOF INCLUDED AND THEY WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED. Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.